Saturday, April 18, 2009

Post surgery






Here is a before picture, right after, and a few from today (4 days post surgery). Jackson has lost almost 5 pounds and he did not have any extra to begin with! He looks pretty frail so we have been offering him everything. I have had to set a timer for every 5 minutes and when it goes off he knows he has to take a sip of liquid. Man does it save a lot of arguing and whining. The food part has not been as easy. Since surgery he has hardly eaten anything. I offer him ice cream, pudding, popsicles; you name it all through the day. When he has fully recovered I am going to have to load up on high fat foods for him. I don’t think any of us were prepared for how hard this has been. This by far has been the hardest thing I have experienced as a parent. It is no fun to watch your child in so much pain and be able to do nothing for them. We managed to get out of the house for t ball pictures this morning through a lot of tears. After pictures we headed to Target to get him a real watch. A little boy in his class has one so I told him if he wanted one he had to earn it. Each day he has good behavior at school he gets to put a sticker on his chart at home. After he gets 5 stickers he gets a reward. Ever since we started this he has had nothing but great days! The first 5 stickers he got to go to Chuck E Cheese. He only had three stickers, but I told him after his surgery he could get it. Poor kid I think he earned it and some! I am sure hoping he is turning the corner to recovering.

3 comments:

Redemption Road said...

What a trooper, and I don't just mean Jackson. I mean you too!

Lerin said...

Poor little guy... he is skin and bones!!! :(

Colleen said...

As a mom, I know how hard it is to watch your child become so thin. But as a woman, I wish I had that problem ;)